Professional women in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics fields can teach girls the power of these growing industries.
As a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) Professional, you will have the opportunity to work directly with girls in our Operation SMART program. You will be able to use your skills in a science, math, engineering, or technology field to help girls discover the scientist within. More so, you get to see a girl's eyes light up when she carries out an experiment, solves a problem, makes a discovery, or learns that - just like you - she can become a leader in STEM!
the STEM professional role:
- Receive training from Girls Inc. staff on how to inspire and interact with your assigned Girls Group through Operation SMART curricula activities over an 8-week term
- Visit a Girls Group that is doing Operation SMART as a Guest Speaker to share your experience working as a woman in a STEM field and serve as a professional role model to them
- Choose to gather a group of women from your workplace to volunteer together through our Associates Mentoring Program to connect deeply with a group of girls, share your experiences, mentor them, and even collaborate on a community service project
- Choose to host a field trip to your workplace to open girls' eyes to new experiences and career paths
The STEM Professional Process:
We hope to work with you as a STEM Professional! This is what you can expect the process to look like:
- Complete the Girls Inc. volunteer application
- Receive an email from a Girls Inc. staff to discuss your interest areas and how you'd like to work with the girls
- Attend a training led by Girls Inc. staff
- Get assigned to a Girls Group and begin the Operation SMART program!