The Girls Inc. Experience equips girls to navigate gender, economic, and social barriers and grow into healthy, educated, and independent adults.
The groundwork of our mission is built from our six essential elements.
Every day, Girls Inc. of the Pacific Northwest puts our mission into practice through The Girls Inc. Experience using six essential elements. Together, they provide a holistic approach that is grounded in a belief in girls' rights and abilities.
- Girls-Only Environment: A pro-girl and girls-only environment that is physically, socially, and emotionally safe and confirms that girls can succeed and deserve to be taken seriously for the women they will become;
- Mentoring Relationships: Trusting, mentoring relationships with adult staff and volunteers trained in an approach that is grounded in a belief in girls' rights and abilities;
- Intentional Programming: Holistic, compensatory, and intentional programming focused on girls' needs and that provides exposure to a wide variety of experiences and options that girls might not have experienced otherwise;
- Research-Based Curricula: Relevant, field-tested, and research-based curricula that confront the serious needs of girls while building the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to enable girls to be competent, confident individuals and adult women;
- Interactive Activities: Girl-centered, motivating, deliberate, and interactive activities that develop and promote girls' strengths, and;
- Sustained Exposure: Sustained exposure to programming and connection with a girl over time to increase positive outcomes and reduce the potential for negative outcomes.
While employing the six essential elements, The Girls Inc. Experience adheres to a program framework that pays special attention to its people, environment, and programming.
Girls Inc. programming provides outcomes.
Girls Inc. of the Pacific Northwest aspires to have a real and lasting impact on the girls we serve. We provide an experience that focuses on the needs of girls in a holistic way. We know that girls who participate in Girls Inc. programming gain considerable knowledge and skills from their formal and informal contact with Girls Inc. programming, staff, and volunteers. The following illustrate our aspirations for outcomes in all of the girls we serve and the ideal to which we can work toward as a community.