You believe that girls are strong, smart, and bold.
Becoming a Girls Guide volunteer is the best way to make an impact on the lives of the girls we serve.
Girls Guide volunteers are essential in facilitating our after school Girls Groups, which is the most popular way for girls in the Pacific Northwest to access our programming. Girls Guide volunteers are trained by Girls Inc. staff to deliver our research-based, proven curricula to help girls develop the confidence and self-esteem to access a bright and economically-independent future.
Girls Inc. of the Pacific Northwest is committed to providing a rewarding, educational, and supportive volunteer experience. As a Girls Guide volunteer, our Girls Inc. staff Program Coordinators will be your personal liaison, ready to help you reach success in this volunteer position. See what it's like to be a Girls Guide volunteer in the video below:
The Girls Guide Role: What's In It For you?
- Girls Inc. will provide you with training in group facilitation, age-appropriate and gender-specific program delivery, and highly researched, ready-made curricula and activities for you to implement with our Girls Groups
- You'll get to know the girls in your group better each week - and they will love getting to know you!
- As a Girls Guide volunteer, you'll be paired with a volunteer or staff co-facilitator
- Girls Inc. gives you the supplies and curriculum - you bring your enthusiasm for empowering girls!
- Programs are typically delivered after school, Monday - Thursday, between the hours of 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
- The majority of our groups are in North and Southeast Portland; we also have sites in Hillsboro, Beaverton, Gresham/East Portland, Vancouver, Woodburn, and The Dalles
- We will work with you to connect you to a Girls Group that is most convenient for your schedule and location
- Girls Groups run for 8 to 10 week terms in the fall, winter, and spring that follow school calendars
- Each Group usually lasts from 90 - 120 minutes and meets once per week
- All Girls Guides must attend a one-time, 4-hour training
- Overall, you can expect to commit to 3 hours per week (which includes prep time before each Group and wrap up after each Group)
The Girls Guide Process
Congratulations! You are ready to become a Girls Guide volunteer. This is what you can expect the process to look like:
- Apply to be a volunteer online
- Receive an email from Girls Inc.
- Attend a Girls Guide training
- Get matched to a Girls Group site and a co-facilitator
- Complete a background check
- Co-lead a Girls Group!
Requirements and More Information
- All Girls Guide volunteers must be 18 years or older to participate
- All volunteers who will have direct contact with girls are required to pass a criminal background check
- All volunteer records are securely stored with Girls Inc. and will remain confidential