Any U.S. woman in grades 9 through 12 is eligible to apply and will be considered for both the National and Affiliate Award, if she also meets all of the following criteria:
- She is 13 years of age or older at time of account creation.
- She is a U.S. citizen who attends school in the U.S. or is a U.S. citizen attending school in Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, or on a U.S. overseas military base.
- She has a U.S. Tax Identification or Social Security Number.
- She is not an NCWIT employee and has no immediate family relationship with employees, extended staff, contractors or board members of NCWIT (including spouses, siblings, children, grandchildren, and persons residing in the same household).
- Applicants may reapply each year; however, National Award winners are not eligible for additional honors.
- Regional Affiliate Award programs allow repeat recipients at their own discretion.
Each National and Regional Affiliate Award winner, as well as each honorable mention receives:
- recognition at a Regional Affiliate Award event*
- an engraved award for both her and her school
- scholarship and internship opportunities
- entry to a peer-network of technical women in the NCWIT AiC Community
- various prizes, such as computing resources, gadgets, swag, and more
In addition to the prizes listed above, each National Award winner receives cash and a trip to the National Award Celebration in March 2018, hosted by Bank of America.
Each recipient with a Certificate of Distinction designation receives various prizes and entry to the NCWIT AiC Community.
* Regional Affiliate Award honorable mentions are invited to an award event at the discretion of the Regional Affiliate team.
Any prize that is classified as taxable income must be reported to the IRS. Taxes, where applicable, are the responsibility of the Award recipient.